The EMU Diamond Royals were just finding their stride under first year head coach Adam Posey before the season abruptly ended. Near the midway point of the season, they stood with a record of 11-8 with the bulk of their conference schedule just around the corner. The COVID-19 pandemic then forced the Royals to cancel the remainder of their season with so much still left to prove, in a tough ODAC conference.
However, due to the abbreviated schedule, this year's team ended up finishing with a winning percentage of .579, the highest in EMU program history since 2002, proving that the future is bright for the EMU Baseball program as this persevering group will be ready for what the next chapter holds.
Record in 2020: 11-8 (0-2 ODAC)
Coach: Adam Posey (11-8 overall, 0-2 ODAC in one season)
Coach Posey Comments:
"I liked the makeup of our team and where we were heading. I thought we were continually making progress towards our goal of being a process-based team and were learning every day with the group of guys that we had. It's disappointing that the season was cut short, because I thought this team exemplified the spirit and culture of what we are trying to consistently create in our baseball program."
John Judy - ODAC Pitcher of the Week (Feb. 10-16, 2020), ODAC Pitcher of the Week (Feb. 3-9, 2020), Royals Athlete of the Week (Feb. 10-16, 2020)
Jacob Merica - Royals Athlete of the Week (March 2-8, 2020)
- Outfielder Jacob Merica led the team in batting average at .368 and RBI with 13.
- Junior Brett Lindsay led the team in hits with 22 and doubles with 6.
- Senior pitcher John Judy finished tied for second in the ODAC in wins with a record of 3-1 in 26.0 innings of work.
- Sophomore Jordan Jones was second in the ODAC with 12 stolen bases.
- Won first game of the season at N.C. Wesleyan on Saturday before taking the series win on Sunday.
- Swept Penn St.-Altoona by scoring a combined 25 runs in a doubleheader on Feb. 23.
- Scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth for a 6-5 comeback win against Averett in eventual last home game.
- Outscored St. Elizabeth 35-12 in a doubleheader to start their Spring Break Trip in Myrtle Beach., S.C.
- Won their last game played on the road at Averett by a score of 7-5.
"My favorite memory of the season was when we were in Myrtle Beach, S.C. and we had waited all day to play because the game had been backed up because of rain. We finally got to the field and it was still pouring rain, but the fact that we were so happy to be there and playing that day was amazing. Being with the teammates I had my senior year was great, and that was a true test of who those amazing guys are." – Senior DJ Williams