Led by a senior class that included three all-conference members, the EMU soccer men returned a strong core of players that was geared for a tougher non-conference schedule and the always difficult conference slate to finish with the program's third .500 or better season in a row. The most conference wins since 2011 put the Royals into the ODAC Tournament as the fifth seed only to be knocked out in the quarterfinal match against Roanoke.
Record in 2018: 9-9-1 (6-4 ODAC)
Coach: Roger Mast (249-246-44 overall, 114-125-22 ODAC in 28 seasons)
Coach Mast Comments:
"Overall, I was pleased with the way that the team performed this season. Particularly with in the conference, this was the most wins that our team has had since 2012. Tying for the 4th seed put us in a position that we were looking for going into the tournament but we were hoping to host a first round game. Though our non-conference record was not what I had hoped for, the strength of schedule was a difficult one and prepared us well for conference play. I enjoyed working with this year's team and felt that our team chemistry and culture was solid. I also enjoyed seeing our 5 seniors mature and develop over the course of their 4 year careers."
Emmanuel Boamah - All-ODAC First Team, United Soccer Coaches All-South Atlantic Region First Team, Royals Athlete of the Week (Sept. 10-16), VaSID All-State First Team
Joshua Chiquillo - ODAC Player of the Week (Oct. 1-7), Royals Athlete of the Week (Oct. 1-7)
Dave Drafton - All-ODAC Third Team
Erik Peachey - Royals Athlete of the Week (Nov. 5-11)
Dominic Powers - All-ODAC Third Team
- Goalie Emmanuel Kampanga was third in the ODAC with 79 saves and fourth in wins with eight.
- Forward Jesus Trejo led team in points with 11 and goals with 4.
- Senior Erik Peachey scored a career high 3 goals with 4 assists for second on the team with 10 points.
- Emmanuel Boamah added 9 points from his defensive position, scoring 4 goals.
- Juniors Caleb Oakes and Joshua Chiquillo combined for 3 conference game winning goals to add to their totals of Oakes with 4 and Chiquillo scoring 3.
- Dave Drafton added 3 goals and 3 assists for the second season in a row.
- Emmanuel Boamah scored the game-winning goal against ODAC Tournament runner-up Bridgewater on a penalty kick in the 2-1 non-conference win.
- Held 2017 National Champion, No. 1 Messiah scoreless in the first half eventually falling 2-0 on the road.
- Dave Drafton scored the exciting game-winning goal in double overtime in the 4-3 win over Randolph.
- Played No. 7 Lynchburg strong on Homecoming Weekend falling 1-0 on a goal by a penalty kick.
- Resilient comeback came up just short in the ODAC Tournament quarterfinals 2-1 loss at fifth seeded Roanoke.
Career Statistical Notes:
- Senior Emmanuel Boamah became one of just five Royals ever to earn multiple All-Region honors and the first EMU men's soccer player named to the VaSID All-State Team three years in a row.
"This season was our best finish in the ODAC in the senior class's four years at EMU. We had a lot of talent and good team dynamics that resulted in us playing at a high level. "- Senior Erik Peachey