The EMU Softball team spent their short lived 2020 season entirely away from Gehman Field. They began the season playing their first eight contests in North Myrtle Beach, S.C. while on their Spring Break Trip. The women returned to Virginia for splits in doubleheaders on the road at Southern Virginia and Mary Baldwin. They were scheduled to play their next two games at home before the COVID-19 pandemic saw the cancellation of spring sports.
Though these Royals were unable to play in front of their EMU faithful in 2020, they were still able to build a close bond, within a young team, that will be ready when it is time to hit the field once again.
Record in 2020: 4-8 (0-0 ODAC)
Coach: J.D. McCurdy (349-271-1 overall, 142-140-1 ODAC in 17 seasons)
Coach McCurdy Comments:
"Faced with the pandemic of the Covid-19 virus, it challenged our spring sports, but left its mark in our country's history and our way of life. Our hearts go out to our student-athletes, Freshmen to Seniors, who lost opportunities to compete in the sport they love, but they all will be stronger as we move forward. In the big picture, saving lives is far more precious than losing games."
- Sophomore Emily Davis batted .472 while leading the team in multiple offensive categories.
- Pitcher Emily Campbell started eight games in the circle with seven complete games (good for No. 9 in the nation) and picked up all four wins. She led the ODAC with 56.2 inning pitched as well as in games started and complete games.
- Senior Cassidey Chrisman batted .333 and led the team with eight RBI.
- Outfielder Emma West had nine hits with a double and a home run to lead the team's freshmen
- Royals walked-off in the bottom of the 8th inning against Gwynedd Mercy to claim first victory.
- Emily Davis scored two of EMU's three runs in their 3-1 win against King's (Pa.) to wrap up their Spring Break Trip in North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Scored two runs in the top of the sixth inning to complete a comeback victory 5-4 on the road at Southern Virginia.
- Korenn Paige doubled in the go-ahead and game winning runs in the top of the 7th inning to win at Mary Baldwin.
"My favorite memory from this season was the night before we came back from our spring break trip in Myrtle Beach. We were all in our hotel room laughing and joking with each other, and it really brought us closer together as team. I'll remember this season by how amazing our team bond was and how great it was to be around all of my teammates." – Senior Cassidey Chrisman