The EMU women's basketball team looks to grow from last year under second year coach Jenny Posey as they have been picked ninth by the conference coaches in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Women's Basketball Preseason Poll.
The Royals received 59 points, which was six points ahead of rival No. 10 Bridgewater and only one point behind No. 8 Virginia Wesleyan. Guilford leads the poll with 139 points with reigning ODAC Tournament Champion, Shenandoah, coming in at No. 7 with 92 points.
The EMU women finished 10-16 last year earning a trip to the ODAC Tournament as the tenth seed before falling in the first round.
Returning for EMU is their leading rebounder from a year ago, senior Chrissy Delawder (Broadway, Va./Broadway), who averaged 6.2 per game with 9.1 points. Joining her is fellow senior Lexi Deffenbaugh (Fishersville, Va./Wilson Memoria), who averaged 2.3 assists and 1.2 steals per game, and leading scorer Emily McCombs (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) brings 9.6 points per game from last season into her junior campaign.
The Royals start their season in Ashland, Va. with two games at the R-MC Tip-Off playing against William Peace on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 8:00pm and Vermont Tech on Sunday at 1:00pm.
2019-20 ODAC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PRESEASON POLL
(#) Denotes First Place Votes
1. Guilford College (7) -- 139 pts.
2. Washington and Lee University (3) -- 127 pts.
3. Randolph-Macon College (3) -- 123 pts.
4. University of Lynchburg -- 99 pts.
5. Emory & Henry College -- 95 pts.
5. Roanoke College -- 95 pts.
7. Shenandoah University -- 92 pts.
8. Virginia Wesleyan University -- 60 pts.
9. Eastern Mennonite University -- 59 pts.
10. Bridgewater College -- 53 pts.
11. Hollins University -- 30 pts.
12. Ferrum College -- 24 pts.
13. Randolph College -- 18 pts.